The Washtenaw Area Transportation Study (WATS) is looking for a Transportation Planning Intern to begin work in January 2013 through September 30, 2013. Internship duties include:
- Crash Data Collection Assistance (Primary Task)
- Visiting crash sites with a WATS Planner, taking detailed measurements, pictures, and videos to describe events at crash sites throughout Washtenaw County
- Entering and tracking measurements in a project database
- Supporting in office duties of the project, including image editing, creating diagrams, and interpreting project data
- Constant attention to safety while in the field, monitoring the safety of both yourself and your data collection partner
- General Office Duties
- Assist WATS staff with support materials for Transportation Plans and documents. This might include research, transportation project analysis, analyzing previous projects and funding levels, or demographic analysis.
The ideal candidate would study Urban Planning or a related field at the Undergraduate or Master’s Degree level, and be available two full days per week. The intern must be willing to work outdoors, and dress appropriately for all weather (we are outside for up to 6 hours/day in winter). GIS experience helpful, but not necessary. Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 3, 2013. Please describe your availability when applying. This is a paid position.