The Michigan Department of Transportation has completed an Environmental Assessment (EA) on proposed improvements to ten miles of US-23 in Washtenaw and Livingston counties. You are encouraged to review and comment on the EA on-line at www.michigan.gov/mdotstudies or at one of several area locations listed below. Additionally, MDOT will record public comment at a hearing scheduled for Feb. 26, 2015, from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m., at the Northfield Township Hall, 8350 Main St., Suite A, Whitmore Lake.
The EA describes and analyzes the proposed work and the measures taken to minimize harm to the project area. The proposed project, between the US-23/M-14 west interchange and Silver Lake Road, involves replacing and upgrading pavement, median shoulders, bridges, and entrance and exit ramps. The EA also analyzes the effects of using upgraded shoulders, permanent message boards, cameras and other active traffic management system technology to reduce congestion, improve safety, manage incidents and better accommodate through traffic during peak hours. Download the EA summary here.
A court reporter will record the hearing’s formal presentation and comment sessions, and will be available to take comments in private for inclusion in the public hearing transcript. Persons also may complete a written comment form at the hearing or mail, fax or e-mail their comments to: Robert H. Parsons, Public Involvement and Hearings Officer, Bureau of Development, Michigan Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 30050, Lansing, MI 48909; Fax: 517-335-5696; or e-mail: email@example.com. Comments must be e-mailed, faxed or postmarked on or before Mar. 17, 2015.
The EA is available for review and comment at the following locations:
- Northfield Township Hall, 8350 Main St., Ste. A, Whitmore Lake;
- Northfield Township Library,125 Barker Rd., Whitmore Lake;
- Green Oaks Township Hall, 10001 Silver Lake Rd., Brighton;
- Ann Arbor Township Hall, 3792 Pontiac Tr., Ann Arbor;
- Livingston County Clerk Office, 200 E. Grand River Ave., Howell;
- Washtenaw County Clerk Office, 200 N. Main, Ann Arbor
- Ann Arbor District Library, 343 S. Fifth Ave.
- Brighton Public Library, 100 Library Dr.
- MDOT Brighton Transportation Service Center, 10321 E. Grand River, Ste. 500, Brighton
- MDOT University Region Office, 4701 W. Michigan Ave., Jackson; and
- MDOT Bureau of Development, 425 W. Ottawa St., Lansing
A copy of the complete transcript, including all of the written and spoken comments received, will be available for public review in March 2015 at the above locations.
With seven days advance notice, the document may be available in alternate formats, including large print, audio file and other languages. For more information on this public hearing, or to request accommodations, please write to the above address or call (517) 373-9534.