Personal behavior is a major cause in traffic accidents. Below are some tips to avoid traffic crashes:
According to SEMCOG, More than half of Southeast Michigan traffic fatalities in the last five years were from single-vehicle crashes. Other factors that were involved in a high percentage of traffic fatalities include lane departures (39%), young drivers (31%), intersections (27%), and pedestrians (25%).
- Always wear a safety belt.
- Always wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle or bicycle.
- Be safe. Be seen! Use lights and/or wear bright clothing when walking, cycling, or riding a motorcycle.
- Obey all traffic laws.
- Share the road safely - be courteous!
- Don’t tailgate – keep safe distances while driving.
- Avoid distractions while driving, biking, and walking.
- Reading, typing, or sending a text while driving is illegal in Michigan.